Saturday, August 22, 2026

Wish Fulfillment

I had a giant topographic map

of Sequoia National Park

on the wall next to my bed

when I was twelve.


Where I could look at

the dashed black lines

that represented trails


snaking along the Kaweah River

or the Kern. Over Timber Gap

or switch-backing up the dense

brown contour lines to alpine lakes

high above ten thousand feet.


I fantasized about lot of trips

in that wilderness where the Golden

trout swam and the junipers grew.


That was fine in daylight,

like in the morning before I got

out of bed. At night, with

the lights off, all I had were

my hungry heart and mind.


And what I wanted, what I wished for,

what I begged and tried to bargain

with God for, was for a girlfriend.

A girl who would love me.


And I would love her forever.

had always wished for that.

When I was four, I went across

the street every day to play

with Carla and her sister.


They had an LP of all the scenes

from The Wizard of Oz and we played

it over and over, we knew all the words.

We especially liked the part where

Glinda asks Dorothy if she has

brought her broom and Dorothy

hasn’t so Glinda says

“Then you’ll have to walk”.


Carla and I told our Moms

that when we grew up, we were

going to get married. But we moved

from Modesto before I turned five.


In second grade, the favorite game

at recess was “girls chase the boys”

and when they caught them,

kiss ‘em and give ‘em cooties.

Nobody chased me. I wanted them to,

cooties or not, especially if Joanie

would kiss me, but she never did.


In third and fourth grade I had friend

who happened to be a girl, Roseanne.

She lived at the dairy across the creek

from our tract home. We climbed trees,

caught blue belly lizards, romped in

the hay loft in the barn.


I wanted her to be my girlfriend,

but we had so much fun doing all

those other things. I never

had the nerve to tell her. Afraid

it would ruin what we did have.

We climbed a lot of trees and

caught a lot of lizards and then

she moved away.


The next year I had crush

on Sharon G, and the year after that

on Sharon W, but I don’t think

they ever really noticed me.

Maybe Sharon W, but she had

serious boyfriends.


I had a map on my wall and

tear-filled prayers that were never

deeply answered for fifty years.

Until now. So I don’t need to have

that "if you only had one wish,

what would it be?" fulfilled any more.

Because it has, in full.

No comments:

Post a Comment