Monday, January 27, 2014

recipes for dreams and blood streams


Because
it was all Daniel
in the lion's den,

and miniature loaves
of Wonder Bread. Black
widow spiders in the vines.

and I didn't have a broom
to ride to see the Wizard of Oz
so I'd have to walk.

Past indian chief
hood ornaments
and Coca Cola bottling plants

with a window onto Main Street.
Unaware of the avocado rugs
and burnt tangerine refrigerators

and Farrah Fawcett hair
and nine Middle Eastern wars
I had to look forward to.

Because my soul
was destined to be
a California river,

in flood or dribble
and extermination standoffs
and sweet nights in the desert

or under sun-striped
redwood shadows
on June fuck afternoons.

Meanwhile, the blood code
passed me by, these molecules
of my body arranged like this

for a very temporary while.
Like a thirty minute sunrise
before the spectrum

shrinks from the sublime
indescribable hues
to the daily monotony of blue.

With an appointment
at the crematorium or the graveyard.
(date to be determined.)

I dreamt of elk.
and smelt their fur
and felt their rut

before the bleating
of the clock erased
the meadow and the street.

Ah, the orbit and the axis
shared with prostitutes
and plankton,

what could be more sweet?
Soon enough to be forgotten
like a candy wrapper in the street.




2 comments: