Wednesday, January 13, 2016

wings for a snail


While waiting
for my wings to grow

and contemplating
the clotted sky, a broken comb,

I wondered if
there are still a few

poems left in my
chromosomes,

some philosopher's kidney stones,
to transmute the lead of the street,

into gold.
(if i'm lucky)

I imagined:
the smoky torchlit cave

of Alta Mira twenty thousand years ago
where people clad in skins and fur

drew a polychrome herd of bison
and deer loping across the ceiling.

And the reed-thin sun-blackened man
who sat beneath a Kakadu gum tree,

painting kangaroos and crocodiles
in X-ray style, white lines on bark

the vast world of his Dreamtime,
while mine is mired

in the prosaic of sidewalk gum,
paychecks, and weather reports.

my understanding grows
with all the speed of a snail,

.........but without the shelter
of the shell. oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment