Wednesday, June 8, 2016

misunderstandings


I was always opening
the wrong end of the package.

wrestling with the bottom
when clearly,
it should have been the top,

inserting the wrong key
into the wrong lock,

showing up at eight
when the date agreed on
had been for seven o'clock.

if not for the sincerity
of my mistake,
I'd've been shit out of luck.

and on the bus
back across the bridge
by nine for years to come.

until I messed it up again.
woke up to find myself become
an accidental spider,

spinning silken threads of poetry
on the electronic planetary web

and discovered that
I still possessed
an appetite for butterflies

who in turn preferred
the verbs I wrote or spoke
to the ones I wished to act.

she wanted gossamer metaphors
of gardens and gunsights,
ruins smothered under blossoms,
words more than flesh.

or so it seemed to me,
the wrong-end-of-the-package
wrong-key-for-the-lock guy.

am I mistaken to think that
bodies are more truthful
than words that can beguile
before they cut?

1 comment:

  1. Mark...didn't relate to this like I usually do...feel like I don't "get-it".....

    ReplyDelete