Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Bookworm


I've been keyless and phoneless
even penniless more often than
I've lacked a book
in a pocket or a pack.

That was the tease
from my Portuguese uncle
who fancied himself a wit.
Not enough to make me quit

reading about mastodons
and saber toothed cats
trapped in the La Brea tar pits
or searching for dinosaur eggs

with Roy Chapman Andrews
in the sands of the Gobi Desert.
Saving seventy five cents for something
by that old racist, Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Tarzan was always rescuing the fair damsel
from some leering savage just before
he was about to ravage her pale virginity.
Hoping that for once he'd be too late.
But he never was.

Childhood's naivete gave way,
darker fantasy held sway
and I found myself enmeshed
in a military reality
grimmer than the pages
of any dystopian book.

I drenched my mind in the philosophies
of Schopenhauer and Nietzche, Mills and Locke. 
I had plenty of time and crystal meth.

I always kept a book tucked
inside the logbook of my Jeep.
Which led to the amusing incident
when a visiting General discovered
that I was reading that little red one
that millions waved over their heads
in Tiananmen Square.

He asked me where I got it.
I said -at the Stars and Stripes bookstore
back at the battalion headquarters.
My other job, when I wasn't driving
the Battery Commander, and visiting Generals,
was separating edible from inedible garbage.

Thank you Mr Beckett for your novels.
They led me to find some satisfaction
making impromptu compositions
with leftover mess hall mashed potatoes,
lima beans, and jello salad.

Dark trashy mysteries and mayhem
are still hard for me to resist
especially when flying on a long trip.
I want something as easy to digest
as the packet of pretzels they give you.
I save the good ones for the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment