Monday, November 19, 2018

A murder of crows


Mom found her in the classifieds.
Brought her home in a cardboard box.
Let me carry the box
from our Falcon station wagon
to the back yard patio.

I tipped it carefully onto it's side
and opened the top.
out hopped a crow.

She quickly skipped away
from my excited hands and eyes.
That's how I chose her name: Skippy.

I tried to get closer.
She cocked her head to look at me
and skipped crabwise into the garden
keeping a safe space between us.

I wanted to touch her glossy breast,
but that would take some trust I'd yet to earn,
no matter how much I yearned.

Skippy couldn't fly,
the tips of her flight feathers were clipped,
but she was much too quick
for a ten year old.

She explored our large back yard,
the ferns and rhododendrons,
the small fountain Dad had made
was soon a place to drink and bathe.

The house and yard 
were sheltered beneath the dome
of a four hundred year old oak.
Wild crows would come to perch in it
and talk to Skippy in their secret crow talk.

Crows have a bigger vocabulary
than you might think
if all you ever hear is caw caw caw.
They can even learn to speak
some human.

We taught her to say hello,
and she took it on herself
to learn a deep rich chuckle.
The one we did not intend
was when she learned to say,
shut up. Followed by the chuckle.

I didn't give up on my desire
to touch her. I just got patient.
Every day for a week
I lay on my belly in the family room
with the sliding door open.
She became curious enough to approach.

I kept my hands at my sides.
Let her get right up close to my face.
She allowed me to touch her
with the tip of my nose.
Two weeks later she let me
stroke her breast with my hand.
As soft as I imagined.

One night there was a commotion
outside in the back yard.
I couldn't hear it from my room
but Mom and Dad did.
They thought it was a cat.
Which Skippy had always been able
to handle, her beak was sharp and strong.
They went back to sleep.

In the morning, all that was left
on the backyard lawn was one wing,
a foot and a scattering of feathers.
That's when I learned what loss feels like.
When love is torn apart
and what remains
are scattered pieces.

No way to reassemble,
no way to turn back the clock
for even a day. Gone from all
but sweet memory.
Perhaps it was inevitable
that I would come to love
a woman who laughed
like a crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment