Tuesday, April 9, 2019

If stones could shout


I never counted Sundays
in the springs of all my past.

I begged the very stones
to shout, that I might rejoice,

And kept my gaze upon
the pavement under my feet

where I saw the gum
and garbage, the despair

of our distracted age
and lay my body down

upon the ground so that
all I saw would be monumental.

And that would be my wry
comment on the world.

But the stones refused
to speak, and so I listened

to the babble of the street,
the wind in the oaks;

melodies, melancholy
or sweet. 

Sundays were the days
when Friday's promises

had all drained away
and only television,

wine, and meat remained
to close another week.

This Sunday will be different,
I'll venture to the island's edge

and seek a frond to hold
and walk along the shore path

listening to the sea
splashing on the stones.

And I will celebrate,
not cerebrate, the wind

will be like the breath of God,
the sun a blessing hand.

This week I will participate
and let grace replace

the knowledge I thought
I had. May it be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment