Saturday, May 2, 2020

Four eyes

Been seeing the world
through glass since I was ten.

When I was having trouble
reading the names chalked
on the blackboard in my
5th grade history class.

So I got a front row seat
until my ugly plastic specs
were finished and fitted.

I didn’t get to choose the style.

Not that it mattered much
as soon as I walked outside
and saw a sparrow flit
across the sky.

And every needle
on the cedars in the canyon
where we camped that weekend
was as defined as the stained glass
windows in a cathedral.

Without my glasses,
I’d never notice
the old chewing gum that
speckles the sidewalk.

Or the discarded
masks and latex gloves
In the gutter.

Or the red-shouldered hawk
that cries and perches
at the crown of the tree I see
from the bedroom window.

I’d lose my lover in a crowd.
The orchids in the garden
might elude my blurry gaze.

Through my wire-framed hippie glasses,
I saw Jimi Hendrix shred
The Star-Spangled Banner
on the Woodstock stage.

When I put on my glasses
In the morning now, I can see
Mt Diablo on the horizon
of the pinkend sunrising sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment