Saturday, April 3, 2021

rear screen projection

His face, her face, we know them

from a thousand scenes.

Framed through a split-windowed

windshield, the ring light picks out

his two-day stubble,

and the cosmetic beads of sweat

gleaming on his cheeks and brow.


Her glycerin tears and dark lipstick

so artfully applied by the studio makeup artist.

Tendrils of Lucky Strike or Camel smoke

curl out from their anxious mouths.


Seen through the back window,

the footage filmed by the second unit

of empty Mojave roads, Manhattan neon,

or suburban Burbank plays on

a rear projection screen


We hear his voice but his lips don’t move,

so we know it’s his feverish thoughts

bouncing wall to wall inside his skull

as he replays the double cross

that he should have seen,

the trap, the trap, the trap.


Maybe I could recreate this scene,

this trope of the silver screen on Zoom.

Carefully arrange a key light on my face.

Skip shaving for three days.

Dab some glycerin on my upper lip.

Light up a Lucky or Camel.

Mount a vintage steering wheel to my desk.


Find some stock footage from the desert:

a sun-bleached cracked two-lane road

lined with Joshua trees and creosote bushes.

Abandoned shacks and motor courts.

Play it on a virtual rear window behind me

while I tell my stories over sirens,

gun shots, screeching tires,

trombones and moaning violins.

Make my voice the voice of dread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment