Friday, November 26, 2021

Frogs

at the academy of science museum

recently, we saw poison arrow frogs.


about the size of an M&M

with a peanut. same colors too.


acid blue, electric orange, warn us:

don’t eat me, you’ll be sorry.


there used to be yellow-legged frogs

in the creek across the road.


tree frogs in the pastures

of the dairy on the other side


of the old road. Where

Roseanne Olivera lived.


We caught frogs together.

Just to look at for a spell.


Roseanne didn’t kiss ‘em

although she had a froggy voice.


I wanted her to kiss me,

but I was too shy to ask.


Frog and salamander populations

are dwindling. All around the world.


Some may be gone forever

some already are.


I want to hike up to the pond

on Mt Burdell where the tree frogs mate.


Hundreds, maybe thousands

singing. all at once. a chorus.


They were still there the last time

I hiked up there, I pray that they 


will be there again, when the rains

fill the pond and flood the grass. 

1 comment: