Thursday, April 14, 2022

Miracles and kisses

We watch the sky for miracles

and purple kisses, this universe


that hides by day and winks by night,

the home of bombs and skeins of geese,


honeymooners on the wing to coral beaches

soldiers to the sands and ruins of Babylon.


A falcon flashed across my office window

this afternoon, chasing pigeons like


an F-16. We scan the blue, searching

for the hand of God to point


his angry finger: you!

shall watch your children die


and you! will hit all five numbers

and the mega. Be sure to thank me.


I can rain frogs and pirates

on your head. Take a clue from your


baseball heroes. They look to the sky

and point. Because it all comes from me,


sitting on my throne of clouds

watching afternoon tv.


Yes, the Guiding Light was mine.

Don't laugh! don't forget my wrath.


Consider what happened to the dinosaurs:

I turned them into birds or bones.


I sent the comets blazing through the night

filling the cosmos with my seed.


Did you think you were the only ones?

That would be especially boring, look around.


My termites, ants and beetles

out weigh you ten thousand to one.


Oh lord of flying saucers and mosquitos

have mercy on our heads,


spare our umbrellas and our nine irons

from your lightning and your rage.


Give us signs and omens,

like the Romans in the flocks and stars,


We'll give you offerings of kites and Cessnas

and try to cut down on the smog and smoke


I think we understand, Gomorra is your

prerogative, not our Hiroshimas


There is just one small thing,

if it wouldn't be too much bother,


could you take some pity on the lost?

No comments:

Post a Comment