Sunday, December 28, 2014

place your bet

It was chicken fried steak

and black-eyed peas day

with stacks of white bread

on the side. I said no thanks

to the chitlins and candied yams.


The last snow had melted

and the fields though muddy

would soon be ready to plow.

The silver firs were showing

their first pale needles.


I’d eaten quickly,

still had forty-five minutes

til one o'clock formation

in the alley outside the barracks

so I decided to take a nap.


The mid day March sun

warmed the wool blanket

stretched tight on my bunk,

so i lay down, luxuriating

like a dozing cat.


I awoke to the whispering

voices of six guys in my platoon

crouched around a wastebasket

in the corner of the room.


I sat up and went over

to see what they were doing.


The wastebasket had six inches

of water in the bottom

and a mouse frantically

trying to climb up

the slick gray metal walls.


The guys said, you want to get in

on the pool? a dollar a minute.

Wilson's got four minutes,

Hassel's got three. Hey, Steve,

whatta you got?

Fourteen, seventeen and twenty

are still available.


Available for what?

Hassel says, til the mouse drowns,

you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment