Thursday, May 7, 2015

the message

The words were so damn thin

red ballpoint ink that blobbed

where she had hesitated.


I’m so sorry, i tried,

but it's not getting better

I just can't..... I fed the cat

the dishes are clean

I’m so sorry.


The car was gone

but not her suitcase.

My guts threatened

to hit the floor.


The woman who answered

my nine one one call

asked where she might go.

The bridge, I said. check the bridge.

But i was wrong.


She'd sought a gentler height

in fact no height at all,

no cliff from which to fall.

Out on the sandy spit

at the end of the road.


A mistaken destination

where the edge of the world

is flat and sandy, and the sea

disappears from the beach


as it reaches towards

the curve of infinity

and the distant shore

of the land of the rising sun.


The officer who came

to the house, stood there

at the counter, while the cat

hid under the couch.


A message crackled

in his earpiece

then he said,it's ok

she's on her way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment