Monday, June 1, 2015

Popsicles

I waited in the last hot rays of sunset,

inking little monsters in the margins

of my notebook, as the ice in my jellyjar

full of Old Crow melted quickly.


Another day, anonymous,

another page to fill with babble.


The valley's breath was scented

with the medicinal reek of junipers.


Like hers had often been,

gin-rickied and jolly

-before she left.


Some where down the hill,

an ice cream truck

piped that eternal jingle:

Turkey in the Straw.


Forever promising

grape popsicles

and purple tongues.


Like hers. Poking it out

and laughing before

she'd slip it in my mouth,

still chilled and sweet and sticky.


I watched a pair of vultures

spiral round each other,

shrink into specks,

then closed my eyes.


I felt a shadow on my face.

her, here, awaited. silent.


Hair gray and prison short now.

Tie-dyed harem pants

clinging to those

once familiar hips.


She smiled for a moment,
then stuck out a purple tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment