Friday, April 29, 2016

In Memoriam


The scythe is swinging freely this spring.
what will summer bring?

I remember, Bud,
when we climbed the 768 steps
of the Munster church in Ulm.

and gazed through the golden haze
to distant fields and villages,
the gleaming Donau's snaking course.

A view that only birds and angels shared
before the last stone was mortared into place.

And why we traded hats.
Because you decided that
you didn't like the old style field cap

you bought and preferred
the new structured ones
that now were standard issue.

And that was fine with me.
I liked the old ones better.
So I've kept it all these years.
Still has your name inscribed inside.

-and your social security number.
Man, I guess you weren't worried
about somebody stealing your identity.

And you were right, because you were
one of a kind, the kindest man I ever knew
who suited up in olive green.

No comments:

Post a Comment