Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Lost & Found


The small box,
like the ones that hold
an engagement ring,
was sitting on
the island counter
at the bank.

You know the kind.
With brochures promoting
home equity loans.
Deposit slips.
A dried out ballpoint pen
attached to a chain.

Someone must have
forgotten this, I thought.
I'll just take a peek
and see what it is
before I give it to a teller.

Inside the box
was a single bullet
nestled on red velvet.
How curious!
This ugly thing
ensconced like a treasure.

What will happen if I
take this to a teller?
Will she think it's
some kind of threat?
Maybe it would be better
to just leave it here.

My fingerprints
are on the box......
I better wipe them off.
But the bank officer over there
is looking at me, did she
see me open up the box?

I'll just slip it in my pocket
nod and smile, walk out real casual.
Nothing to see here,
have a nice day.

It's bright outside
so I put on my Ray-bans
and wait at the curb
for a minivan loaded full
with a girl's soccer team
to pass by.

The bank officer rushes out
the door of the bank.
Sir? Did you forget something?
I think you left your wallet on the counter.
She flips it open, looks at my ID.
Mr Chambers? I think this is yours.

1 comment: