Wednesday, April 12, 2017

things

I believe that
something clings
to some…things:

Stonehenge, bodhi trees
the wailing wall, the Kaaba
Chickamauga, Wounded Knee.

Some live behind ropes or under glass
Lincoln's top hat, Jefferson's bible,
pieces of the Berlin wall,

-sometimes even the mundane.
I was standing on my usual corner
enjoying my usual ten o'clock smoke

and I heard a quiet voice
behind me softly muttering
a string of urgent messages

about conspiracies on BART
and invocations to some Cynthia
in phrases whose meaning

was only known to the ragged
woman with a missing right
maxillary lateral incisor.

She was dressed in many layers
and a super hero themed bandana
wrapped around her head..

In the middle of her opaque
and pauseless stream
she clearly said,

May i trade you a lighter
for a cigarette? and held
out two in her dirt smeared hand.

I declined her proffered swap
and gave her a cigarette.
She lit it up and placed the lighter

on top of the corner trash bin
and silently suggested with a nod
and downward flick of her eyes

that I should take it, so I did.
It was a standard plastic Bic
with an image of a dark eyed

zombie woman and the name
of a popular television show,
-The Walking Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment