Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Mirror mirror


Mommy's pink lucite framed mirror
lay on the floor.
my one eyed teddy bear
ignored.

The ceiling of the living
room was down there,
at the bottom of the pool.
If I could but touch it,

or clutch the hem of Alice's skirt
to pull me in, I'd follow Orpheus
through the dissolving entrance
to his underworld.

Instead.
Each morning the mirror
corroborates another step
on the journey to join the dead.

-

The girl walking down the street
looks up from her phone
to check her presentation
in the noon reflection

of every store front window,
tucks a strand behind an ear,
takes the opportunity
to assess her rear.

-

One night,
so long ago that now...
I walked through
the empty town of Dachau.

no cars, no people, no breeze
to stir the leaves in the heavy
moonless midnight air.
no money in my pocket

for a meal or or a bed,
I kept walking, scared.
out past
the last few lights of town.

I stepped into a field
looking for a place to sleep
under a tree or beside a shed.
so dark that i could not see my face

in a puddle beside a barn,
but in it's black reflectance,
the stars and galaxies
gleamed backwards,

a universe reversed,
and I was calmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment