Friday, June 9, 2017

The Good Shepherd


Every town and city
has a heart.
Podunk diner
or courthouse square,
some center where
the energy congeals.

If you have a message
to proclaim, that's where
you need to go.
The crossroad in San Francisco
is Powell and Market
where cable cars turn around
and the BART riders
emerge from underground.

So on this fine June day,
I tucked my Bible and
my water bottle in my pack
and looked for the best spot
to stand.

A big line waiting to ride
the cable car was stretched up
Powell and the homeless
and the hustlers leaned against
the low wall around the pit
of the BART station entrance.

Across from the would be riders
looked like the best place to start,
captive audience, you know?

Over the years,
the most important thing I've found
is to choose the right piece of scripture,
something that connects with people
on the very day you speak.
-if you want them to hear you.
if you want to give a message
that cuts through the noise.

So I chose the story of the good shepherd
from the gospel of John, chapter 10.

"Good people, I have something I'd like
to share with you today. Yes you, all of you,
bless you on this fine summer day.
It's a story from the Bible which
I ask you to consider, especially today.
I think you'll see why.

There are a lot of shepherds in the bible, right?
That's not too surprising. After all that's how
a lot the people of the time supported themselves,
with their flocks. For food and clothing.
Even to this day, there are many shepherds
in that land.

So when Jesus spoke to the Pharisees
they knew what he meant. When he said that
he was the good shepherd, the one who lays down
his life for the sheep. And when he warned them about
the hired hand who is a not a good shepherd,
who runs away when the wolves and thieves come
because the hired hand cares only
for the money he can make from the flock.

You see where I'm going with this, right?
We hear claims from high places,
the very highest places in our land
from our leader, our hired hand
that only he can protect us from the wolves.
But his speech is filled with lies
and he seeks to fill his pockets
with profits from us, his flock.
We're getting fleeced, you know what I mean?

But Jesus told the Pharisees that he was the gate
and that his sheep would know his voice
and follow him. How do you think they
would know his voice? Was it sweet
as a dove cooing in the olive tree?
Did he speak with the majesty of a king?

I think not. It was the completeness
of his love. And his promise to give up
his life for them. And he did.

But his love went beyond the flock
gathered there to hear him, he said that
there were other flocks not present
who he would gather
and bring with him through the gate.
Some of you probably recognize
that his promise was to live with him
in eternal life. But what of the others,
the flocks ungathered? As some of us are not?

I don't deceive myself, that I'm gonna
bring you into the fold today, but I still
have a gift for you, one that reaches
beyond the ashes or the grave
where we all eventually find
our respite from this world.

And that is simply this:
what persists after we have left?
Love. In the hearts of our families
and friends. And for some of us,
far out into the world.
like the stone tossed into the lake
sending ripples to the farthest shore. Love.

For all the flocks in all this world.
Like the good shepherd.
So I caution you, beware of the hired hand
the shepherd who seeks benefit solely for himself
and confines his concern for his flock only as long
as it profits him and burnishes his name.
and even then he will abandon them
to wolves and thieves.
God bless you, and enjoy this day.

The cable car rolled down Powell
and the people waiting drew out their tickets,
some resumed looking at their phones
and a few aimed their cameras at me,
to memorialize this San Francisco side walk curiosity.
The homeless sitting on the sidewalk
nudged their cups a little closer to the crowd
and one young woman put her hand
to her lips and blew me a kiss.

They climbed onto the cable car,
with excited eyes and smiles
and as it began it's journey over Nob Hill
to Fisherman's Wharf.
Some of them waved goodbye.

I opened my water bottle
and refreshed my throat
and waited for the next line to form.

No comments:

Post a Comment