Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Butterfly

She's almost always there.

sitting crosslegged on the sidewalk

with the purple blooms of agapanthus

nodding in the breeze over her head.

Eating pancakes.


She asked me for a smoke.

Told me her name

-Butterfly.

says that she is an African warrior queen.

Her outstretched hand is crusted with dirt,

because it seems the last bath she had

is a question for her royal history.

A big half-dressed, barefoot African warrior queen

with missing teeth and a missing mind

but the sweetness of a child.


I walk past her spot on the sidewalk

by the park-with-no-name

every afternoon. So I give her

a dollar or two sometimes a five,

whatever I have in my pocket.


She likes cigarettes too,

says -I love smoke. and laughs her big

six-front-teeth-missing smile.

so I tuck a smoke into whatever

folded dollars I give her.


Today I told her I was

going to be gone for a month

and gave her a five.


She says

-I know what peoples had to do.

Says it like the punchline of a joke

that only she understands.


I hope she makes it 'til I come back.

Because you know, even to

simple-minded African warrior queens,

crusted with filth and kind of crazy,

who sleep in the dirt under the poplars

in the park adjacent to the office towers …


Because things happen.


and five weeks from now,

I might not see her.

Eating her cheap pancakes,

and asking me for a Camel

or a Coke with lots of ice.


I said Goodbye Butterfly,

see you when I get back.

and walked on to catch my bus.


Things happened.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark - I don't know if this one is my favorites or if they all - have a wonderful and interesting trip...see ya... Judyets...

    ReplyDelete