Friday, July 28, 2017

Bugs, busses, and butts

The dying cockroach lay
halfway on its side

on the hot white tiles outside
Chiang Rai Bus Terminal #2
halfway to being fried.

The bus was not due
to leave until
three forty five.

Not much to do except
smoke another Marlboro,
ignore the photo on the box

of cancer riddled lungs
and wish that I could
have a Camel Straight,
but they don't sell them here.

Sunday, the thirtieth of July
is the forty fourth anniversary
of the day I walked out
of the last Army building
in which I'd ever wear a uniform

I lit up a Camel straight
and flagged a Yellow cab.
wish I had one now,
but they don't sell them here.

I snuffed the Marlboro out
and went back to my seat,
just another forty four
minutes until the Chiang Mai
bus was due, so I waited

and considered
that bug slowly roasting
on the hot white tiles outside
Chiang Rai Bus Terminal #2.



No comments:

Post a Comment