Monday, March 18, 2019

The end of the world as I knew it


I thought I knew,
all that eyes
could speak.

What hallowed
texts
could teach.

That the sorrow
of today
would be followed

by bleached
tomorrows.
That the turn

of the season
from gray to green
would be just that:

another milepost
in my alloted orbits.
welcome, but flat.

But now!
as our planet's axis
approaches equinox

and morning sun returns
to bathe the silk flowers
in my office window,

and almond blossoms
scented the Sunday air,
we walked hand in hand,

and Spring's promise
of bounteous life unfolding,
never felt so real.

I thought I knew
the world, what it gives
and what it grabs,

didn't hear the promises
of all that could be had
if we but listen

to all that eyes can speak
when hearts open
like lilies in the sun.

1 comment: