Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Everybody calls him L


About the fifth time Larry hits me up
for spare change or a smoke,
he says most people call him L.

So I always keep a couple bucks
in my pocket and give him a smoke
if I have one, it's one more
I won't have to smoke, see?

How you doing, L? Need a light?
Yeah, man, you're beautiful.
It's bad, hard out here, nobody
wants to help me out.

But at least it ain't raining
and the sun's out so you know...
and you always help me out,
you're beautiful, man, God bless you.

I'ma go get some food,
thank you man. Shakes my hand.
He walks down to the corner
past the other young men

hanging out. They have a
sound system playing something
loud, a soundtrack for the sidewalk.
A couple of young women
shimmy to the beat,

cut their eyes at L as he walks by.
They all shake their braids and laugh.
Look at me as if I am a fool,
then resume whatever important
business they have been discussing.

L walks past the Burger King
without stopping, passes up
whatever ninety-nine cent thing
they are pushing now.
It doesn't matter.

The sun is shining
and L is smiling and it'll probably
be the same tomorrow so
I'll make sure to have a couple dollars
and a cigarette if I have one.
It's one more I won't have to smoke, see?

No comments:

Post a Comment