Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Lost words


Mom doesn't
have the words
she used to have.
They slip away.

Stolen by the stroke
that stole her
right-handed grip
as well.

When we can't find
a word, a name,
we say it's on the tip
of my tongue.

That's her everyday
experience.
She searches for it,
says I forget the word.

Sometimes I can
find it for her.
Sometimes I can't.
Then we share a laugh.

She told me yesterday
that she used to talk
a lot more, but now
she can't speak clearly.

She was never
at a loss for words.
And she hasn't lost
her sense of humor.

Dad designed
a meditation room
for the Betty Ford Center
in Palm Desert.

So on one occasion,
they were at a party
and Betty was waiting
to introduce them

to her husband,
the former president.
He was in another
conversation so they

were waiting for the moment.
Meanwhile, Betty got
distracted by another
conversation, while

Gerald finished his.
So they stood there
waiting somewhat
awkwardly for Betty

to make the introduction.
Mom smiled and said to Gerald,
Hi, I'm Liz Chambers
what's your name?

And everyone laughed.
She remembers that.
Even if she sometimes
calls me by the dog's name.

No comments:

Post a Comment