Saturday, January 9, 2021

Baptists

At a dig in Jordan,
on a hill above the Dead Sea,
in the palace of Machaerus


where Herod Antipas

ruled and stewed

about John the Baptist’s


opposition to his desire

to marry Herodias,

a divorced woman,


the niche where his throne sat,

and the courtyard where her daughter,

Salome, danced, has been unearthed.


Herod was so entranced

that he promised to grant

Salome anything she asked for.


She asked for

John the Baptist’s head.

Herod had it brought to her


on a platter. Perhaps

that explains the antipathy

that strict Baptists have


to dancing. I don’t know

where their frowning

on card games comes from.


It was never discussed

at my Baptist Sunday school.

We sang songs about


how Jesus loved all

the children of the world,

and looked at Bible


stories picture books.

My favorite story was the one

about Daniel in the Lion’s den.


I’m sure we didn’t talk about

what happened to his accusers

and their wives and children.


I know the whole story now

and what I think it means.

I still like to dance and play cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment