Thursday, July 21, 2022

The web

Her place around the corner
looks like it's never stopped
celebrating Halloween.


It’s a sprawling Valley bungalow

with deep porches which appear

to have been screened and draped

by a giant spider or some kind of

....conceptual artist.


-Told you I was a weaver,

what do you think?


-I don’t know! what is that?


-Lots of things, lots of stuff.

Cotton bolls I scavenged from what

gets left on the ground by the machines

at industrial farms. Scraps of marine

fishing nets. Rotting clothesline. Rags.

Anything made from fibers that I can

tease apart and reuse.


-Ok, I don’t mean to be rude

or ignorant but what is it for?


-Just something I like to do.

Art, I guess? Do you like it?


-Well, actually……..yeah.

It’s kind of different,

kinda spooky. More that I look

at it, the more I like it.


-That’s good. Wait’ll you

see what’s inside.


The porch has furniture

made with the same aesthetic

as the webs enveloping the exterior,

improvised metal frames like reimagined

mid-20th Century butterfly chairs.


With multi-fibered, rags, cords,

and fabric scraps, instead of canvas

for the seats. Several hammocks

in the same fashion. A hanging

chair in the form of an African

weaver bird nest.


-Yes, you are a weaver!

My God! This is amazing.


-Thank you. Let’s go inside,

it’s cooler.


It is much cooler inside the house. Dim.

Shanice leaves her shoes at threshold.

Mack does the same. The hardwood

floors are smooth and cool on their feet.


-Feels nice doesn’t it?


-Yeah.


-Thirsty? I have water, sun tea,

or would you like something stronger?

Have you had any of the Harmony Spirits yet?


-Yes, I have. Really interesting,

but water sounds good to me.


-Me too. Come on in, takes a moment

for your eyes to adjust to the light,

but I like to keep it like this. Be right

back. I’ll get the water.


One side of the room has a large

carpet, patterned in the antique

style of Central Asia or Persia.


The other side has bins overflowing

with various fabrics, fibers, chicken wire.

Long slender willow branches. Rags.

Coils of rope, wire, tangles of heavy

nylon fishing line dangle from

hooks attached to the wall.

A loom stands facing the curtained

front window.


Shanice returns with the water.

-That’s where I do my small stuff,

There’s a skylight and I can open the curtains.

The light's really nice in the morning.

Are you a morning person? Or afternoon?


-I like the morning, especially now that

the world is this hot. Sometimes I get up

hours before dawn. It’s the quietest time

and I like that.


-Yes! I like that too. I like to go out

back before the sun comes up.

Look at the stars. Naked.

C’mon I want to show you

the rest of my place.


They go through an arched doorway

into an even dimmer room. At the far

side, is a oval frame about two feet

above the floor covered with a tight

mesh of multi-colored strands.


-It’s a bed try it.


Mack sits on the edge and bounces

lightly. -It’s kind of like a trampoline.


-Yeah, it has some action. Go ahead.


Mack rolls onto the center,

tries a bounce or two. Says,

-Not really for big stunts is it? More

like a really comfortable hammock.


-That depends on what you mean by stunts.

I could show you some. Wanna fool around?

Like right now...?


-Said the spider to the fly…..


-Yes, I’m a widow and a web spinner

but I promise not to bite your head off.


-I see. Yeah, show me some of your tricks.

I’ll show you some of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment