Thursday, March 17, 2016

Abundance


I don't know
if I.

can speak
or if.

you.
can hear.

I'll try.

while everyone is asleep
in chairs, the window couch
the floor.

and your measured breath
your managed pulse

the slow drip
from all these tubes

the wires taped to your
tissue paper skin.

i couldn't find the poem I wrote.
about that fishing trip we took.

and the stuff we didn't talk about.
and the things we did.
sequoias, hot rod fords.

I wanted to read it to you
and hope that you could hear it.
if I spoke close enough to your ear,

now that afternoon's delirium was gone
and you slept in morphine's embrace.

and I couldn't find the poem
so I just told you the story

and listened to your gentle breaths
peaceful now that all the machinery
was disconnected.

all the sleepers in the room
would awaken except for you.

I slowed my breath to walk with yours
until it became too slow for me to match.

you slept through another day
deep into another night

and in a moment imprecise,
you stopped.

a thousand miles south
a new baby seemed to wait
for you to pass,

struggling against entering
this world as much as you
fought not to leave it.

she's here now.
and you're gone.

1 comment: