Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Happiness


There was a moment
before this moment

before this morning
before this day.

They pile up.
like silt, like snow, like sand.

And I could sift them
for the gifts and sorrows

as if the sum of life
was entries in a ledger

the red outnumbered
by the black.

Where would I account for
the pleasure of stroking red gold hair?

and the moonless hilltop
where I once screamed in despair?

or how I made art from garbage,
spent years allowing love to fade,

betrayed by lust.
more than once, I'm afraid.

Tried to capture life in silver crystal grains,
chased the empty cup,

dared to drink the water,
crossed the country on my thumb,

shed my fantasies
of nuclear devastation

saved by juvenile infatuation
between the legs of a german whore.

Saw death dim the eyes
of a comrade murdered.

His blood stained my jeans
where it trickled through my fingers.

I lost my faith in revolution
but not the rage.

Felt the animal in my soul
fly out through a saxophone

inchoate, raw and joyful,
now it hides in memory's garage.

I held a newborn girl,
a genius now at seven,

two days before the country
said yes to hope.

I fall asleep at eleven
almost always easily,

as reports of wars and weather
blend with my lover's gentle snores.

2 comments:

  1. Once again your words flow off the page, following their own intrinsic rhythm while painting pictures for the mind to enjoy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again your words flow off the page, following their own intrinsic rhythm while painting pictures for the mind to enjoy.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete