Thursday, March 24, 2016

when the sun came up


Sun rays rake the elms
around the garden where
the old houses used to be.

now it's full 
of community beans
and tomatoes.

the Sacramento summer sunrise
promises hot and extra hot
for breakfast, lunch, and dinner,

so Robert and Henry are drinking
green quarts of Rainier Ale
from brown bags at six a.m.

Robert says they've been
off the reservation for years.
that it's hot up here in June

but the nights are cool.
not as bad as Palm Springs.
those summer nights are like an oven.

that's where they spend the winter.
at a big old camp down there
next to the railroad tracks.

it's a real old time hobo jungle
back under the tamarisk trees.
everybody there is like family.

they wanna know if I'd like a swig
I say sure, just to be sociable.
i don't generally start my day with ale,

but I want to hear their stories.
Robert is from clear lake
an' Henry's up from somewhere

in the mountains east of San Diego
they've been going north and south
like geese for years.

mostly it's all about what they like to drink
and the best places to sleep outside
in Sacramento, memories of friends

doing things like jumping off a train
going forty miles an hour and
landing on his feet running.

but he's dead now. fell asleep
one night and never woke up.
they had a big hobo memorial

down in the Coachella Valley.
say that I should come down
next winter. lot of good company

and a lot of good stories
if that's what I'm interested in.
maybe I will, maybe I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment