Thursday, May 10, 2018

Plain Jane and Me

The first thing I noticed
when she stepped out of her car,
was her angry eyes.

The only damage
to her scruffy old toyota.
was a broken taillight.

She had Tibetan prayer flags
strung across the back window.
Her big old tabby cat, Bagheera
dozed on the dashboard.

I might have been following too close,
when I gave Jane's treasured ride,
a big chrome kiss 
right on one of those bumper stickers
that spell out coexist with a bunch
of religious symbols.

Jane stormed out of her Corolla,
right in the middle of traffic,
those angry blue eyes ablaze.

I yelled, what the fuck you doing,
are you crazy, hippie?
and she yells back,
why don't you watch where you're going,
you trying to give me whiplash?

Or are you blind as well as deaf
from that deathmetal trash
blaring in your big manly truck?

Is that big motor something
you like to think you have
installed between your legs?

Well that was how me met.
Jane is pretty plain
and I'm about the same.

After we got married,
we both became
officers of the national police.
We had matching gray uniforms. 

We looked like we should
be pushing brooms or fixing elevators,
except for the pistols and boots.

We weren't entirely dull,
we shared a small measure
of chemistry and empathy.

Even voted for democrats sometimes.
She sold her old Corolla,
and I sold my big Dodge Ram.

Financed a new red minivan
on a seventy-two month loan,
and agreed there'd be
no bumper stickers.

I still like my Death Metal 
and Jane still loves her Tibetan chants,
so when we ride together
we keep the radio off.

No kids yet, but lying in bed , 
we often picture family camping trips
and soccer games, pancake breakfasts
on Sunday mornings.

Then we watch the late night
talk shows until we get bored
enough to fall asleep.

Back when I rear-ended her,
I saw a splash of red
on the dashboard.

I thought it was blood
and my anger just disappeared,
I pointed to it and asked if she was alright.
That made her laugh.

She said, actually that's where
I prop my feet to paint my nails.
Look, there's still a few grains of sand
imprisoned in the polish
because I'm such a nincompoop
and did it at the beach.


No comments:

Post a Comment