Friday, June 8, 2018

a pretty nice guy


John Doe. I thought I knew him.
Mostly from the genial way
he conducted Town Council hearings.

Enough to nod a greeting
last week when we met
at the grocery store checkout.

Shared a shake of the head
and a wry knowing smile,
exchanging an eye roll

before we both looked away
from the blaring headline
on this week's Enquirer.

His basket was full
of the usual American fare,
frozen pizza, hot dogs and beer.

I said, all stocked for the game?
Yeah, the kids are all coming over,
this'll probably be gone before halftime.

So it was quite a shock last week
when Babs said, did you hear?
John Doe was killed last night.

Right in his driveway
while he was washing his car.
Some guys driving by

saw the campaign sign on his lawn
and I guess they didn't like it too much.
They pulled it up and beat him to death with it.

I said, Seriously?
You got to be kidding.
What was on the sign?

I can't imagine there's anything
so provocative in Edenville
that it gets somebody killed.

Babs said, I know, honey.
It was just a normal campaign sign.
Red, white, and blue, with the slogan:

Bring back the love to Edenville
Vote Daeshonda Love
for District Attorney.

No comments:

Post a Comment