Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Mug shots














I like thick white diner-style mugs.
And dinosaurs. Got both on my desk.
A mug and the beautifully rendered
plastic triceratops who stares
defiantly at my favorite cup.

It reminds me of the actual
skull I saw displayed on a table
in a locked room at UC Berkeley.
A skull the size of Volkswagen hood.

It was tooled (the toy, not the skull
or the Volkswagen hood)
in Schwäbisch Gmünd by the
toy animal maker Schleich.

Schwäbisch Gmünd was also
the town where the American
Pershing Missile command was
headquartered before Ronnie
and Gorby decided to ban them.

I couriered some nonsense
up there once, after I became
a conscientious objector,
it was a nice drive in the summer.

I have a couple of real fossils,
a leaf on a small slab of sandstone,
the miniature tricertops stands
on top of that, and the shell
of an ancient ammonite.

Ammonites looked like a cross
between a snail and an octopus.
That one is next to my tiny buddhas,
two inch Eifel Tower, and White House
pencil sharpener. (made in China)




No comments:

Post a Comment