Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Pockets


Put on a coat I hadn't worn in a while.
In one pocket was a business card
for a film archive whose director died.

The last time I saw him,
I thought he was someone else,
so I missed the chance
for one last conversation.

A second card,
was in the pocket too,
the lead oncologist at Kaiser.
He seemed to be a kind man.

We only met him once,
The followup appointment
never happened,
it was too late.

Wrapped around his card,
a couple of lotto slips
without a single matching number,
but they never do,

my fortune was in the other pocket,
a ticket to a basketball game
where everything changed,

and a future opened
beyond the pain,
where all the numbers
now seem to align,

it's all cherries and sevens
spinning up on the payline,
and the bells are chiming
jackpot jackpot jackpot.

2 comments: