Thursday, January 16, 2020

Shadows


What stranger was that
who walked past my grave?

I looked to the unyielding sky
for the cloud whose shadow
gave me a shiver and found nothing
but emptiness in the infinite blue.

I lay down in the sweet grass
beside a mirror bright lake,
waiting for halfdreams
and reveries to come.

The cry of an osprey
wheeling above
invaded my slide 
into drowsy contentment.

What alarm is this,
this sourceless shadow,
this chill at sunny noon?

I looked up and saw nothing,
not even the bird whose cries
had disturbed me.
It must be that stranger
standing over my grave.

Then I slept without
any dreams to remember
and when I awoke,
I was hungry for bread
and thirsty for wine.

But my bag was empty
except for a much-thumbed
old book I’d lost and now found.

So I read a verse,
my grandfather’s favorite,
and the shadow and hunger
were gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment