Saturday, November 14, 2015

The radio in my head doesn't google.

I started up the car
at our little island market.
Dropped a sack of avocados
white beans, ginger root
and tomatoes on the seat.

Almost forgot to get a bag
of Friskies original for the feral cats
who climb up to the porch
in the evening. They would not
forgive me.

The sky over the bay
was stained like amber.
As I slowly drove along
the Avenue of the Palms
listening to the radio,

some scientist on NPR
was talking about an ice-free world;
about how alligators used to live in Alaska.

He meant 70 million years ago
when the tyranosaurs were roaming
the forests of Wyoming
and Hell Creek, Montana.

Underneath the crowns
of monkey puzzle trees
and ginkgos. Dawn redwoods.
Triceratops munching ferns.

T. Rex.
A favorite monster of ten-year olds,
and a glam rock British band back in the 70's.
Big guitar lines that felt like smooth
and powerful pelvic thrusting,
oh, oh-oh. oh, oh-oh.

And it took me back to a summer carnival
in 1972. On a ride called the Hully Gully.
and the singer was crooning:

-you slide so good
with bones so fair
you've got the universe
reclining in your hair-

and I was thinking about
those dinosaurs
and the stardust in my bones.

And that other song they sang
called 20th Century Boy,
and how that fit me too
like a well-washed tee.

Summer seventy two
or was it seventy three?
I've got no way to google that
back into memory.

I can see the jolly dancing pig
on the marquee over
the entrance to the beer tent
and recall the scent of
chickens roasting on a spit.

But it's as long gone
as Gondwanaland,
the ancient continent
south of the Tethys sea.

Gondwanaland always
sounds to me like some place
in a Tarzan novel.

And I read every one of them,
more than once or twice,
blind to Edgar Rice Burroughs racism.

It was all cliffhanging chapters
that ended just before the girl
was about to have her blouse
torn open. I could almost see
the buttons pop.

I waited in the driveway
to hear the end of the scientist's story.
We are closing in on halfway
to that ice-free world
when alligators could bask
comfortably in the midnight sun
on the banks of the Yukon.

But meanwhile, here's an idea
free of charge:
blouses with buttons that pop off
and are easily snapped back on.
Betcha could make millions,
go ahead, no charge.



No comments:

Post a Comment