Tuesday, December 4, 2018

I'll take door number three

Somewhere,
before an audience
who I'm not sure are live.

The game reaches
the pinnacle of it's drama.
The three doors.

Where I must choose between
what's in hand, or what's behind
the doors.

The unctuous host intones
Which door do you choose?
And I say I'll go with number three.

Let's see what's behind door number 1?
A Bentley and a mansion,
a villa on the Cote d'Azur,

and ten million shares
of blue chip stocks.
but you didn't choose it.

Now let's see
what door number two
is hiding.

A guarantee of perfect health
you''ll make it to a hundred
without a hint of arthritis,

flab or heart disease.
No knee or hip replacements
the eyes and ears and abs

of a twenty year old
and all the other parts
in perfect shape for a century.

But not for you 
cuz you chose three.
and now we're going to see.

A ninety six Toyota.
a rental cottage with a leaky roof.
Is that a cane I see beside the door?

Let's have a look inside.
A couch with thread bare cushions,
a couple pairs of worn out slippers.

A table set for two with
mismatched candles and flatware.
a bed that looks well slept in.

Sorry pal, I think you missed the boat,
the wealth, the health, the whole shebang.
What d'you have to say?

I won.



No comments:

Post a Comment