Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas '72

The grass was brown.
matted. Everything
was winter naked.

No duties.
no letters from home.

Just a slip
of paper with
a drop of LSD.

A way to pass
……….the day,
the emptiness.

And it wasn't like
the way
I remembered.

Except for the metallic
taste on my tongue.

and the tension
crawling up my back
when coming down.

The leaden sunset
of the night to come
loomed much too long.

I scored a nickel
of creamy looking
smack from Lizard

that he and Dimartini
had brought back
from Amsterdam.

Put it up my nose.
and then……

the barracks room
was a golden palace
and I was molten.

Like an infant wrapped
in swaddling cloth...

and the music
on the stereo…

was like a chorus
of angels…….

but it was just
the Rolling Stones.

I had disappeared
inside the euphoria.

So the morning
after Christmas,

I knew that I would heed
the warning:
Do not feed the tiger.

1 comment: