Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Power outage

I awoke in dark silence.
-just another power outage
on the island.

My cell phone lit my way
down the newly empty hallway
found some candles on the sideboard
that I'd set up for an intimate dinner
but had never yet
been touched by flame.

Brewed my coffee by candlelight
but didn't  I stick around this morning.
Take me to the city's light,
take me to BART.

A poster in the train says ACID solutions
from a company called Fauna
promises to manage damages
from chaos.

I don't recall acid ever doing that.
I suppose it must be something tech.
When I get to the office I have to check.

The news and book store
next to the exit from BART
is piping Gershwin to the street.

And Mike who sleeps
somewhere on the street
has his shopping cart and milk crates,
his graffitied flags and rags,
parked in the entry way
of Chase bank.

He's got his headphones on,
he's hopping from foot to foot,
dancing, singing, talking to the air
in his non stop
twenty-four-seven stream
of motherfucker this
and motherfuckin' that,

delivered in a voice
laced with laughter,
-vocal cords as rough
and raspy
as Wolfman Jack.

No customers as yet
in the predawn darkness
for the Newport shorts
that he sells one by one.

So apparently ACID stands for
Atomicity, Consistency,
Isolation and Durability.
Ensuring that ACID compliant databases
can complete transactions
in a timely manner.
Right.

I understand that about as much
as Mike's croaking rants.
It will soon be time for Chase to open
and he'll move his cart and crates
to the exit from the 12th Street Oakland
BART Station. Heart of Oakland.

Where he can cackle and laugh
at people coming up the escalator,
sell his cigarettes and bottled water
to people undeterred by his Tourettes.

1 comment: