Wednesday, December 26, 2018

She watches me

She watches me.
from her perch beneath
the wooden Buddha's smile
Does she share
that everlasting peace?

I put her there so she could see
all I do, even if that means
she laughs at me -which I expect
she often has reason to.

Hope she doesn't mind
that I've commandeered her desk
and take up the whole bed
now that I have room.

Because I'm here and now
with all the itches and the kisses
yet to be. And the channels I choose
to put me to sleep are not
her cop dramas and mysteries.

Winter solstice has now passed,
each day the light grows stronger,
the streams begin to flow,
and the hills are showing green.

I think she approves of the things
I keep and those which get passed on.
That the tears I shed can be again
for things of wonder, love and beauty.

I bet she laughs and shakes her head
when I get misty about some corny song,
Yeah, I'm still here and I haven't tossed out
all your souvenirs and soaps and magnets.

Are you happy now,
in a place I can't imagine?
or here, perched beneath
the wooden Buddha,
smiling like he does, at me.

1 comment: