Tuesday, September 10, 2019

et cetera


The bandoneon softly moans,
the sky gleams in a puddle
on the still black street.

My hand brushes
red-stained pistachio shells
beside the escalator's rail
as I rise from the station.

My mind still filled with the thriller
I've been reading on the train.

The jackhammers chattering
on Broadway mask the sonata
piped out to the sidewalk
in front of the news stand

Where I'll buy this week's
lotto tickets and a hot rod magazine
because the thriller isn't likely
to get me all the way home.

Although the odds of a winning ticket
far exceed the odds of my demise,
I always play the Tuesday Mega
and the Wednesday Super.

I've yet to win a single dollar.
Perhaps that's what keeps me alive.

God's gift is love and life
and if I should hit the numbers,
I'd never see the cash,
I'd be dead within a week.

At least that's my conceit.
I've got the life and love,
my mother, brother, and my lover,
that's all the proof I need.

Now the morning's clouds
have burned away,
the jackhammer is still
eating up the street,

And this month of memorials
both terrible and sweet,
when summer ends
and school begins,

the lessons chalked
on mind's slate.

A friend is coming
for dinner tonight
and I will make for us
a fine and simple meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment