Friday, November 21, 2014

waiting for the alligator shoe to drop (34)

Two battered suitcases
and a big cosmetics case
share the back seat with Loretta.

Who sighs, nice of you to drop by, Henry.
Thanks for inviting me to the party.

Wouldn’t leave without you, Loretta.
But first we’re gonna see what a certain
pair of sewer rats are up to.
Oh yeah? How you planning to do that?

That place where I saw you all last night.
I wanna find out what they’re up to.

What difference does it make?
We’re getting out of town ain’t we?

That’s right. Just need to find out how
committed they are. And if they have any
idea where we’re going.

Bobby’s been to Teviston before,
he’ll probably come up there looking.
So why you think it’s such a good idea
for us to go there, anyway?

Well we aren’t going to stay for long,
but we gotta let Ruthie’s folks know what’s going on.
Especially if Bobby shows up and they haven’t seen
or heard from us. I figure San Francisco is where
we oughta go. Especially me and Ruthie.
Less of a problem up there I think.

Yeah. You probly right. What about me?
I ain’t gonna stick around in Teviston
waiting for Bobby to show up.
Motherfucker’d kill me for sure.
Ruthie turns around and takes her hand. 
Of course not. You’re coming with us. Right Henry?
That’s right. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

San Francisco. I was up there and over in Sausalito,
an’ Richmond during the war. Those were some times.
Bobby wasn’t so mean back then and those men
building ships, sailors on shore leave, they all
had plenty of dough. And I was pretty hot stuff.
We were riding high....yes sir, riding high.

Why’d you ever leave?
Those jobs dried up when the war was over.
Me and Bobby did some time in county jail.
And then Bobby stole some money from some
big cat who he shouldn’ta. Things got too hot.

Well I’m sure that’s all blown over now. You’ll be alright.
And you need to change your line of work.

Yeah, yeah. Maybe I’ll get me one of those little
French maid outfits, huh? Get a job for some rich
old man polishing his family jewels.

Right. We’ll find something better Loretta,
you ain’t too old to pick up new talents.

Yeah? I still kind of fancy the ones I got,
bet I could get me a rich old man.

They arrive at the place near the train yards
where Henry had seen Smith, Bobby and Loretta
the night before. He parks behind a row of buildings
in a shadow where they won’t be seen.

You two should stay here while I go around front
to that doorway where they won’t see me. If anything
should happen, just get the hell out of here. 

You better just get back here then.
I will. They aren’t going to see me. If they come
running back here before me, just go.
You did real good driving the car. Just give it
a heavy foot on the gas pedal and scram. I’m going to
watch from the corner there where you can see me
til I see their car.
Just be careful, baby. And get your ass back here.


No comments:

Post a Comment