Wednesday, November 5, 2014

off the job (10)

Nights in Oildale stink like crude.
Maybe things just smell more in the dark.

Back in the office hut,
the wheezing swamp cooler
drips into a pie plate on the floor.

Charlie sits with his fifty dollar boots
crossed at the ankles on his desk.
He’s on the phone with the head office.

…….a full report by ten. no.
I understand. yes sir.

Henry says, til ten?
I gotta leave by ten.

You gotta? you stay til
I say you gotta, comprende?

Yeah, comprendo. and Charlie?
I’m Armenian, not Mexican.

Of course you are. You know what?
You can go, right now. Head office
heard about your situation.

Suggested you take a few days off
to sort out your priorities.
I wasn’t so sure about that,
but you know what?
Clear out now.
I’ll call you when and if
I need you to come in.

He’s not due at Cottonwood  til 10:45,
so he drives up China Grade Loop
to the top of the hill,
and looks down out the hundreds
of relentless horsehead pumpjacks
rocking slowly in the yellow pink light
of the mercury vapor lamps
replacing the last of the sunset.

Radio KUZZ is spinning some songs
in between the news bulletins.

Rose Maddox suggests
what she’ll do
in the right kind of car:

Take me in your Cadillac
and we’ll go honkytonkin’
We’ll park it by the roadside
somewhere beneath the moon.

Take me in your Cadillac
and we’ll go honkytonkin’
We’ll park it by the roadside
and I’ll make sweet love to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment