Tuesday, November 25, 2014

riding into the sunrise (41, the final)

the sky’s turning a hazy purple in the east.
the sierra crest bites into the morning
with jagged black fangs.

east on the county two lane
in a track nose ‘34 coupe,
the cotton gives way
to the orange groves,
the flatland bows to the hills.

Loretta asleep in the back,
Ruthie asleep on his shoulder.
he kisses her hair.

at the mouth of Green’s valley
still in night deep shadow,
the unpaved track
faintly gleams.

the comforting crunch
of the gravel beneath the wheels
awakens the two sleeping women.

They watch as
the hill side oaks emerge
like hunched figures in cloaks,
dark pilgrims marching
towards the rising sun.

the rocks and the sycamores
concealed by night, revealed
by the dawn’s early light.
just as they reach the outcrop
where Green’s path begins,
the sun oozes over the ridge
bathing the land in the true gold.

five horses,
-three chestnuts, a black, and a pinto-
stand in the road like they own it.
-’cuz they do.

Henry shuts off the car.
As they climb up the path, they see Green
standing out on the porch, raising a mug
and blowing the steam over the rim
into the dew-drying-on-grass-scented air.

-Pull up a chair. I just made a pot, gathered
 a half dozen eggs.  you need a meal and rest.
 and this beautiful lady, who is she?

-I’m Loretta. Nice place you got here.
those your horses? I always wanted to ride a horse.

-Then you’re in the right place.

-Yeah……… I think I truly am. 
-You’re welcome to stay as long as you want.
-Well, Mr Green, what if that’s a very long time?
-I don’t think I’d mind that at all.
-You never know, Mr Green, sometimes
 things just work out, know what I mean?

She tilts her head at Ruthie and Henry slumped
together on the pew and already half asleep.

-Yes they do. Can I get you a cup of coffee?
-Please. You got anything to stiffen it up?
-I might have a jug somewhere. Let’s put these kids
 into bed. Think you could sleep in a hammock?

-I could sleep in a corn crib. I don’t think that’s
 gonna be a problem. But d’you mind if I wait
 a bit on riding those horses? Ruthie and him
 kinda itchy for Frisco, but maybe I could stick
 around here for a while?

-Long as you want, Loretta. This day
 and as many others as you like. 

-Yeah? I’m liking this day a lot.
-Me too. Let’s put these two to bed and I’ll show you
 my bench. I think the seat will fit you just about right.

 -Yeah? Show me the way, Mr Green, let’s find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment