Wednesday, May 22, 2013

dinner for one at eleven


the house a whir of systems:
old refrigerator fan
in four four time
a big fly circling
the melon molding
under cling wrap
clock ticks

the hiss, august breezes
in the oak next door
the constant crickets

the toaster oven bleats
to tell me that my half stale bread
is ready to be smeared
with mayonnaise and onions

the silverware rattles in the drawer
the scrape of a knife across the bread
my teeth my tongue my throat
my dinner eaten standing up

the click of ice cubes in a plastic cup
that was stylish in the sixties
a rasp of paper napkin
on late night whiskers
a sponge across a cutting board
a sniff provoked by mustard

footsteps and the brush
of corduroy in the hallway
the crescendo diminuendo
of piss hitting water

the squeak and wheeze
of the automatic drip irrigation
in the courtyard starting up

light switch clicking off

breath,
a cricket solo
a coyote

beep beep beep
it's five a.m.
and I am

back.

No comments:

Post a Comment