Saturday, May 25, 2013

rats in a piano


imagine two rats trapped in a piano,
dancing on the strings,
would they compose a song?

imagine me,
sitting on a bench
along the waterfront

after a five o'clock martini
watching the aftermath
of the big parade

a sea of flesh, coarse or delicate
garbed in low cut black and orange
sunburned and tattooed

a jogger in his
cowboy print underwear
runs down the sidewalk

past the phony rocketship
oblivious to the
screams and laughter

of the cheerful drunks
who stumble and mumble
blissful non sequiturs

the giants and governor moonbeam,
triumphant………..
implausible

monster harley davidsons
roar down
the palm-lined boulevard

does anybody know
where they are going? or care?
time enough for regrets tomorrow

the guy in the bar was saying:
no leads for that fucker,
he messed me up

three stools down
a woman spoke into her phone:
i'm not even trying to compare

because we were friends
for like
…….a year

he says:
time to make some changes
it sounds like romeo is back in town

november ain't so sad today
the streams await the rains
that soon enough will flow

etching patterns in the sand:
but the elegance of fractal mathematics,
can't explain the structured chaos of my brain

2 comments:

  1. Mark - this is not what I was thinking of but I think it is fantastic - I LOVE it.- I'm passing it on to my literate friends...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cool! sometimes you just stumble on to things on the web that way, it's a treat.

      Delete