Thursday, May 23, 2013

critics


a negative review: i was walking to the ferry
rehearsing barely over breath, when a homeless
man jumped up off a wall in the plaza and slung a paper
cup of ice from some fast food joint across the bricks
to skid and spew cubes that glittered on the bricks.

he couldn't have heard a single word,
just saw my lips moving and assumed that of course
i was talking to him, like the rest of the universe does.
so he shouted: you want something bitch?
you talking behind my back, bitch? and i just
spread my arms palm up and downward, outward facing,
you know the gesture of: what did i do?

but that wasn't enough for him, so he kept on ranting at
my back as i waited at the crosswalk of the boulevard to cross
and wondered if he'd come up and stab me or push me
into the street in front of the cars and buses.

but he wandered off still cursing, and seeing enemies
if anyone seemed to look at him or mumbled poems
under their breath quietly. no staring eyes
or smiles covered behind hands.
here i am too, talking in public and there
is no partner, but of course there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment